This report investigates consumers’ attitudes and behaviour in relation to pet insurance. It includes trends over time based on similar consumer research from 2017, and is accompanied by an Excel data file. Underlying pet ownership and pet insurance trends have changed since Finaccord’s last survey on this topic in 2017, and this series provides an updated, detailed analysis of this topic.
- Why is this report needed?
Pet ownership increased in many countries over the last five years, partly when people bought pets for company during the COVID-19 pandemic. Pet insurance has also become more common, particularly for stand-alone policies. As a result, the total pet insurance market has grown significantly, while the distribution channels and interfaces used to acquire it have also changed.
- Which countries are featured?
Finaccord has researched consumer approaches to pet insurance in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, and the US.
- How many respondents have been surveyed?
We surveyed over 13,000 people in total. In Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK at least 1,000 people were surveyed. In Brazil around 1,500 were surveyed and in the US and China over 2,000 were surveyed.
- What is the key information provided by this report?
The series offers insight about key metrics by country in six main areas:
- Underlying pet ownership
- Take-up rates for pet insurance
- Characteristics of pet insurance policies
- Distribution of stand-alone pet insurance
- Pet insurance claims
- Pet insurance brand awareness and usage (this is a new feature for the 2022 series, which was not in previous Pet Metrics reports)
The chart below shows how in country X, the take-up rate for pet insurance accelerated in 2022 for all types of animal
For further information about this research, please access the table of contents and series prospectus using the links on this page.